Tuesday, April 23, 2013

KCW Day 1 :: Battles With Knits

 
image from here

I decided to kick off KCW by attempting a new {for me} pattern, Made By Rae's Flashback Skinny Tee.  Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm much more comfortable working with cottons, all those stretchy fabrics scare me, their endless rolling up, the puckering, the stretchiness of it all! But this year has been about improving technique and conquering sewing fears, so it was a great pattern to do just that!

I'd cut out the pieces before my cold hit over the weekend, the plans were to make two for the eldest (he needs more, and they'll be handed down), one for the middle and one for the baby. Ambitious much? With a pattern I hadn't tried before?  I had every confidence in the pattern, after my experience with the Geranium Dress, but my skills were another issue!  

Work in progress

The fabrics were a couple I had lying around the stash, you know the ones you buy when they're on the clearance table and there's a 40% off marked price sale, and you think you'll face your knit fears and make something, but then they sit in the stash for TWO years because you keep putting off using them... Or is that just me!!  I also cut up a couple of my knit dresses that make me still look six months pregnant, because I really don't need strangers asking when I'm due.  Green stripe was leftover from the lining of an Urban Hoodie, black & white stripe was a maternity dress and the navy with birds was not a maternity dress but the cut of it doesn't work with my body right now!


Unfortunately I didn't get to the sewing machine till about 8:30 last night, and then spent ages trying to work out the right stitch to use on the sewing machine so all I have to show for the 1.5hrs devoted to KCW is four shirt fronts sewn to backs, and five out of eight sleeves set.  Note to self: 9 is the Super Stretchy stitch on my machine and #17 is the stretch overlock stitch!


Sleeve 6 of 8 to set today. Eleventy billion pins have been used in an attempt to hold it all together!  Hoping for a more productive day today, would love to get something finished and on a child!   How are you going? Did you achieve what you set out to on Day 1??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you, please leave me a comment!!